Monday, January 18, 2010

Frida's big (terrible) day.


Frida Kahlo-Bruneau is getting neutered/spayed tomorrow.
I haven't cared enough to find out which one is specific to females and obviously still don't care.
She is having her femininity stolen from her forever.
She started painting this piece featured above, a few days ago when my mom told her that she'd have to stop eating at 8:00 PM the night before the surgery. As you can see in her depiction of herself on the left, in the white, she recognizes that there will be scissors and blood involved in this de-womanizing as well as her loss of innocence (the white gown).
People (one person) have been telling me that her personality will be ever-changed by it. They said that she won't be crazy or funny or outlandish and that the only pets that are interesting in the whole world are ones whose owners allow them to keep their hormones, genitalia and sex-drive.
I'm nervous, starting since the day I got her and excentuated three days ago, to climax at 8:30 tomorrow morning and then for weeks or maybe my whole life until she acts like herself again.
She won't trust me anymore and definitely won't sleep with me.
She'll look up at me like she never knew me and walk past me on the street like we were never in love.
I'll sit in my room crying myself to sleep at night and she'll be on the porch, looking out at the city crying in the cold - the cry of the saddest cats thinking about a lingering feeling of something that used to be, wondering if she'll ever be able to retrieve it - whatever it was.
I might rather die...

This comes down to a feminist issue of birth control and reproductive rights for Frida as well. I feel like I'm stripping it from her. Sigh.
And as a reincarnation of a bisexual revolutionary feminist mexican artist who had an extremely passionate relationship with Tina Modotti, she ought to have a lot to say on the matter that I can't possibly understand from her.
It's like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind...
Is love a legitimate experience if it doesn't last (at least in the memory) forever?

No comments:

Post a Comment