Sunday, December 13, 2009

The XX


EEG
Electroencephalogram or... Eastern European God?
Oliver Sim of The XX definitely fires a lot of the neurons in my brain with the body-melting duet he creates with the band's fellow female (lesbian) vocalist Romy Madley Croft.
Their set at the Commodore a few weeks ago made me dance, cry, sing along, meet people, and EVEN drop my drink. It was better than I expected and... I expected it to be really good. Not to mention meeting them was even better. In the past, I've been pretty good at acting like I'm not a HUGE fucking fan of the musicians I meet but in this case... I think I'd be less nervous if I met Oprah.
For those who haven't heard anything of the band at all, I'm not going to recommend them to you. Recommendations sound like "oh hey, yeah, listen to this song, it's good" but I feel like when I recommend them, I'm cheating them of something... like... just talking about them when walking down a street isn't good enough for what they are. Maybe if there was a beautiful sunset and there were fireworks exploding and live violinists lining Commercial Drive with free cherry cheesecake, it would be an appropriate time to reccommend them.
Wikipedia likes to describe their genre as "dream pop," "indie pop," and "chill out" but I think that they're sort of in a league of their own, not needing nor meeting a genre.
Listening to the intro to their most recent self-titled album, I was like... there's no way this is the intro. My favourite songs are probably 'Crystalised' ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pib8eYDSFEI ) and 'Heart Skipped a Beat,' with engaging lyrics, great harmonies and bridges that make me repeat listening to 27 seconds of a song over and over and over and over...
I actually had an explosion with a few people at a party a few nights ago who were just like... "AHHHHHH OH MY GOD AND THAT SONG!" which turned into a sing-along, including voicing of instrumental parts, especially drum beats. I could see the loss in the people's eyes who had no idea what we were talking about. I don't even usually get this excited.
Did I mention that Sara Quin recommended this band to me when I met her?
Just listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment