Friday, December 11, 2009

Artnalysis 1: Chagall

Birthday Kiss by Marc Chagall

I don't particularly like surrealism because it's legible enough for me to SEE what's going on but too abstract for me to UNDERSTAND what's going on. Usually because it recollects the artists' dreams, it's hard for a lot of viewers to ever actually understand. (It's not just me...)

I learned in psych that people who are fantasy prone (obviously?) dream a lot, and because of these constant mental images that flow around, the person gets mixed up between what happened and what was just in their heads. I'm one of those people I think. I could say that at least twice a week I will say something like "Did my philosophy teacher text me this morning saying, 'You look really beautiful when you sleep,' or was that a dream?" or "I can't believe my neighbour that I haven't seen in seven years brought over a huge basket of eggs this morning."

Anyways. This is a painting that Chagall gave to his lady on her birthday, explaining that he painted his body the way he did in efforts to capture the way he felt every time he had to say goodbye to her in the morning. He never wanted the last kiss to be the last kiss.

I think those who've found a definition of love can completely understand this.

You might feel really airy and cheesy and ridiculous if you recognize you are this person and stop reading and look at the painting longer and smile to yourself.

Or maybe it makes you a bit sad that this feeling you've had isn't there anymore. But regardless, if you find yourself in this defined moment, I think you'll find that the execution of painting hits the feeling right on the head. There could be so many elements of whats going on in layers and dimensions but you only really care about just kissin' that wonderful lady or man or whoever you accidently fall in love with.

It's blatant and passionate despite the curvilinear yet awkward shapes. I just adore it so much.
Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment