Thursday, March 11, 2010

Farewell Facebook

My decision to deactivate my Facebook account is for a number of reasons.
I really do hate the way that technology seems to govern mine and everyone else's lives. Even at parties or gatherings, people always seem to be partying with technology at the same time - on cellphones, TVs, computers, etc. I feel like anytime I'm hanging with someone, there will at least be a few points when we have moments of silence as we catch up with our phones.
I know that this seems like I should be getting rid of my phone or something but lets just say that deactivating Facebook is a step in the right direction, for me at least.

I used to justify keeping it in the past, saying it helped me keep in touch with people.
But if I really want to keep in touch with them, I could call them or e-mail them instead of creepily watching them from a cyber-distance while determining if I still like them at all.
I would also justify having Facebook by saying that I wouldn't get invited to things if I didn't have it.
If people really wanted me at their event, they would/could get a hold of me in another way and that would probably mean that I was extra special because everyone knows how many stupid fucking generic invites they get on Facebook for events that they've never expressed interest in.
I would also justify it by saying that I like looking at photos.
That is something I might actually miss, but lots of my friends have flickr or their own sites anyways.
I would also justify it by saying that I like to read/write notes.
I write on here instead, and most people's notes on Facebook are just those really long Q&A things that are so much fun to do, but not really to read.

When I meet people at a bar, they will no longer ask me for my last name, but rather my phone number. It's way less secretive and mysterious that way anyways.

Case in point, I will not have Facebook for a while. Hopefully a long while.

1 comment:

  1. facebook feels a lot more boring now that youre not on it

    ReplyDelete